Developers are the creative minds behind computer programs. They develop applications that allow people to do specific tasks when using technology tools.
Average Hourly Earnings
- Analyze users' needs and then design, test, and develop software to meet those needs
- Collaborate with other computer specialists to create the best possible software
- Design each part of the application and plan how the pieces will work together
- Change existing software to correct errors, adapt it to new hardware, or improve performance.
- Consult with customers about software system design and maintenance
- Document every aspect of the application as background for future maintenance and upgrades
- Determine system performance standards
- Research and evaluate factors like required reporting formats, costs, and security needs to decide how to configure hardware
Many applications software developers work in office environments and some telecommute. In general, software development is a collaborative process and developers work on teams with others who contribute to designing, developing, and programming successful software. Long hours are common.
Investigative. Frequently requires working with ideas and involve an extensive amount of thinking. Often involves searching for facts and figuring out problems mentally.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional
- CompTIA Security+
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
- Cisco Certified Network Associate
- Microsoft Certified Professional
- ITIL Certifications
- Cisco Certified Network Professional
- Red Hat Certification Programs
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert
- ITIL Foundation Certification